Spiced Roast Beef And Vegetables
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds russet potatoes peeled, and cut into 1" chunks
- 8 medium carrots peeled, and cut diagonally into 2" lengths
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 beef eye of round roast - (3 to 3 1/4 lbs)
- 1 garlic clove thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place first 3 ingredients in heavy small plastic bag. Using meat mallet or rolling pin, crush spices. Transfer crushed spices to small bowl; mix in salt, ginger and cayenne.
Toss potatoes, carrots and 3 tablespoons oil in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread vegetables in large roasting pan. Roast 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, using tip of knife, make several slits in roast; insert garlic into slits. Brush roast with remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Rub spice mixture over roast.
Push vegetables to sides of pan, leaving space in center. Place roast in center of pan. Roast until meat thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 125 degrees for medium-rare, about 1 hour.
Transfer roast to platter. Tent with foil. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees. Spread vegetables in pan; continue roasting until vegetables are tender and brown, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle with cilantro.
Surround roast with vegetables. Cut roast into thin slices and serve.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.