Squash and sausage shepherd's pie
- Squash and Sausage Shepherd's Pie
- Makes: 6 servings
- Prep 40 mins
- Bake 425°F 15 mins to 20 mins
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 1/2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
- 5 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage or lean ground beef (85%)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 8 ounce package sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/2 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- Shaved Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Sliced green onion (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat six 10 to 12-ounce individual casseroles with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a 6-quart Dutch oven cook squash in lightly salted boiling water, covered, for 15 to 17 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Drain; return to Dutch oven. Mash with butter, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
3. In a large skillet cook sausage over medium-high heat, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon until no longer pink. Transfer meat to a colander; drain well. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
4. In the skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes more. Stir in broth, crushed tomatoes, rosemary, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in meat, peas and carrots, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; cook 2 minutes. Divide mixture among prepared dishes. Spread top with butternut squash. Place on a large baking sheet.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until top is lightly browned. If desired, top with shaved Parmesan and sliced green onion. Makes 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Black Garlic Linguine 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Pomegranate Israeli Couscous 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- ONION SLOPPY JOE'S 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Parmesan Butternut Squash Gratin 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Easy Buffalo Chicken Spaghetti... 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Smoked Mac 'n Cheese with Bacon &... 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Skillet Pork Chops with Apples &... 4.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Kielbasa, Chicken & Pasta Casserole 4.8/5 (5 Votes)