Creamy Asparagus Soup With Seared Scallops
- 1 pound asparagus
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter - (1/2 stick)
- 3 shallots minced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups chopped spinach - (firmly packed)
- 4 ounces fresh sea or bay scallops
Snap off the tough stem ends from the asparagus spears and discard. Cut the tips off 4 of the spears into 2-inch lengths. Set the tips aside. Chop the remaining asparagus into 1-inch pieces.
Bring a large pot two-thirds full of generously salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the chopped asparagus and cook until bright green and just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or long-handled strainer, transfer the asparagus to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking. When the asparagus is cool, drain and set aside.
In a heavy soup pot over medium heat, melt 3 tablespoons of the butter. When the butter is just hot, add the shallots and sauté, stirring occasionally, until tender and translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the chopped asparagus and cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and stir in the cream and stock. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook for 2 minutes more.
Transfer the soup to a blender and puree until smooth, about 2 minutes. Pass the soup through a chinois into a clean saucepan and keep warm over very low heat.
Season the scallops with salt and pepper. In a small sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. When it is nearly smoking, add the scallops and cook until evenly browned and slightly translucent in the center, about 2 minutes per side. Divide the scallops among 2 warmed soup bowls.
Add the reserved asparagus tips to the sauté pan and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Taste the soup and adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper. Ladle the soup into the bowls, garnish with the asparagus tips and serve immediately.
This recipe yields 2 servings.
You'll also love
- Cream Of Butternut Squash And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Corn Chowder With Red Pepper Cream 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chili Fried Rice With Crab And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken And Asparagus With Spicy... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Buckwheat Crepes With Salmon And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Warm Shrimp And White Bean Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal Scallopini With Mushrooms And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spring Lettuces With Grapefruit... 0/5 (0 Votes)