Cream Cheese Stuffed Carrot Cake with Orange Glaze
- 2 1/2 cups peeled and grated carrots*
- Dry Ingredients
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup pecans, finely chopped (I use my food processor)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Wet ingredients
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (regular or lowfat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- Orange Cream Cheese Glaze
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Optional Decorative Garnishes
- roasted pecans, roughly chopped
- orange zest
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 100mins
Adapted from carlsbadcravings.com
1.Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Butter and flour a 10” bundt cake pan (or use nonstick-spray with flour in it). Set aside.**
2.To make the Cream Cheese Filling, beat the cream cheese and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in remaining Filling Ingredients until smooth. Set Aside.
3.In a large bowl, mix all of the Dry Ingredients together. In a separate bowl, gently whisk eggs then stir in remaining Wet Ingredients just until combined. Don't overmix.
4.Stir Wet Ingredients into Dry Ingredients just until moistened, then stir in 2 1/2 cups grated carrots until evenly combined (I use my clean hands to stir in the carrots).
5.Spoon 3 cups batter into prepared bundt cake pan. Spoon Cream Cheese Filling over batter and gently smooth, but do not touch the sides of the pan. Top with remaining batter.
6.Bake at 350F degrees for 45 minutes, cover with foil then reduce heat to 325 and bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
7.To make the Orange Cream Cheese Glaze, using an electric mixer, cream together all of the Glaze ingredients EXCEPT the powdered sugar on medium speed for 1-2 minutes or until completely smooth. Add sifted powdered sugar and beat until very smooth, scraping down sides as needed. Place the frosting in the refrigerator for 5 to 10 minutes before using.
8.When cake has cooled, drizzle Glaze over cake or individual servings, whisking in additional orange juice/milk if Glaze has become too thick upon standing.
9.Store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
*To easily shred carrots, use the grater on your food processor. If you don't have the grater blade, you can also finely chop in your food processor.
**When "flouring" my pan, I use cocoa powder instead of flour because the cake is brown.
***Your cream cheese layer may not be as thick as the picture all the way around - I chose the thickest slice :)