BBQ Chicken Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potatoes
- 4 small sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth or milk
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese, divided
- BBQ Chicken
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 1/3 cup BBQ sauce
- Caramelized Onions
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Adapted from reciperunner.com
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
Prick the washed sweet potatoes with a fork and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake the sweet potatoes for 45 minutes.
While the sweet potatoes are baking heat a large skillet over medium heat.
Once the skillet is hot add the olive oil, thinly sliced and separated red onion, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
Saute the onions, stirring them occasionally for about 10-15 minutes or until soft and golden brown in color.
When the sweet potatoes are done baking, cool them for a few minutes before cutting them in half lengthwise.
Scoop out the flesh, leaving a 1/4 inch border all around the potato.
Discard 2 of the potato skins and place the remaining skins back on the foil lined baking sheet.
In a large bowl add the sweet potato filling, salt, pepper, chicken broth, and a 1/4 cup of the shredded smoked gouda cheese.
Mash everything together with a potato masher until it is mostly smooth.
In a medium sized bowl combine the shredded chicken and BBQ sauce, stirring together until it is completely coated.
Spoon the sweet potato filling evenly back into the skins.
Top with the shredded chicken, caramelized onions, and remaining cheese.
Place the potatoes back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes until the filling is hot and the cheese is melted.
Remove the potatoes from the oven and top with more BBQ sauce and cilantro if desired.
You'll also love
- Stuffed Pork Loin 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Salmon Cakes 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Apricot Bars With Shortbread Crust 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- Roasted Fennel & Prosciutto... 4.3/5 (8 Votes)
- Caponata di Patate (Potato... 4/5 (7 Votes)
- Low Carb Creamy Chicken and Sweet... 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Pommes de Terre Anna... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)