Spicy Black Bean Beef With Thai Basil And Jasmine Rice
- BLACK BEAN SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons fermented black beans
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 piece fresh ginger - (abt 1 1/2") peeled, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- BEEF AND RICE:
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry sherry or dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound beef top sirloin, abt 1" thick sliced paper-thin
- across the grain
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1/4 cup chopped or snipped fresh Thai basil
To make the black bean sauce, in a small bowl, stir together the black beans, garlic, ginger, sherry and soy sauce. Set aside.
In a bowl large enough to hold the beef, combine the 2 teaspoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon sherry, cornstarch, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Stir until well mixed, then add the beef and stir to coat evenly. Pour 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil over the beef and marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.
While the beef is marinating, cook the rice. In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the water to a boil. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the rice. When the water returns to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and cook until the rice is tender and the water has been fully absorbed, about 20 minutes.
About 5 minutes before the rice is ready, in a wok or large, deep fry pan over high heat, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil. When the oil is very hot, add the beef and its marinade, and toss and stir until the meat has changed color but is still pink, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the black bean mixture and continue to toss and stir just until the meat is barely cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more. Stir in half of the basil.
To serve, mound the rice in a serving bowl or divide evenly among individual bowls or plates and top with the beef. Garnish with the remaining basil.
This recipe yields 3 or 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Spiced Beef Brisket 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Smoky Southwestern Veal Chops 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Skirt Steak Fajitas With Avocado... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shredded Beef Tacos 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Scallop, Mango And Avocado Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crispy Salmon With Spiced Lentils 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cannellini Bean, Fennel And Shrimp... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tacos With Fresh Tuna And Black... 0/5 (0 Votes)