Cheesy Bacon Brussel Sprout Casserole
Recipe from 12 Tomatoes
- 2 pounds brussel sprouts, halved (fresh or frozen and thawed)
- 1/2 pound bacon, crumbled
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup fontina cheese, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 eggs
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme, minced
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400º F.
Toss brussel sprouts in olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Place them in a large baking dish and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until semi-softened.
While brussel sprouts are roasting, cook bacon in a large pan or skillet over medium-high heat until crispy.
Drain off fat and add garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until fragrant, and season with fresh thyme.
In a large bowl, whisk together eggs and heavy cream, then stir in cheeses.
Remove brussel sprouts from oven and add 3/4 bacon and garlic to the baking dish. Pour cheese mixture over the top and stir everything together, then top with remaining bacon.
Reduce oven temperature to 350º, return baking dish to oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly and just set.
Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before serving.
Recipe adapted from Serious Eats