Paleo Cottage Pie
- For the top layer
- - 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- - 2 tbsp ghee, melted
- - 1 tsp spicy Paleo mustard
- - Optional 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- - Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- - Fresh parsley, to garnish
- For the bottom layer
- - 1 tbs coconut oil/ghee/lard
- - 1/2 large onion, diced
- - 3 large carrots, diced
- - 2 stalks celery, diced
- - 1lb ground beef
- - 2 tbs tomato paste
- - 1 cup chicken broth
- - 1 tsp dry mustard
- - 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- - 1/8 tsp ground clove
- - Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 45mins
1. Place a couple inches of water in a large pot. Once the water is boiling, place steamer insert and then cauliflower florets into the pot and cover. Steam for 12-14 minutes, until tender. Drain and return cauliflower to the pot.
2. Add the ghee, mustard, salt, and pepper (and Parmesan, if you’re using) to the cauliflower. Using an immersion blender or food processor, combine the ingredients until smooth. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, heat the coconut oil (or other fat that you’re using) in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, celery, and carrots and sauté for 5 minutes. Add in the ground beef and cook until browned.
4. Stir the tomato paste, chicken broth, and remaining spices into the meat mixture. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated, about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Distribute the meat mixture evenly among four ramekins and spread the pureed cauliflower on top. Use a fork to create texture in the cauliflower and drizzle with olive oil. Place under the broiler for 5-7 minutes until the top turns golden.
6. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve.