Multi-Grain Salad with Shrimp
This is a salad fit for a crowd. It works great as a side dish at a pot luck, but with plenty of shrimp, it can be made into a light dinner.
- 2 dozen shrimp
- 2 heads garlic
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 4 to 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 6 cups assorted cooked grains such as wheat berries, barley, kamut or wild rice
- 1 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup yellow pepper, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup zucchini, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons scallion, minced
- 2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 450°F with rack in the middle.
Cut off and discard top 1/2-inch of garlic heads, exposing cloves. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil and then wrap in foil. Roast garlic until centers are tender when pierced, about 40 minutes Cool and squeeze garlic out and mash with a fork.
While garlic roasts, blanch carrot in boiling water until just tender, about 2 minutes, then drain and place directly into an ice bath.
Marinade Shrimp with salt, pepper, and lemon. Brown shrimp in a pan over medium heat. Remove, and cut each into 3 pieces. Set aside.
Whisk together garlic, vinegar, remaining 1/2 cup oil, mustard, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper in a large bowl.
Add grains remaining ingredients, then toss. Season with salt and pepper.
You'll also love
- Cheesecake Bars, Lemon 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies,... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Skillet Fried Corn 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Applebee's Veggie Patch Pizza 5/5 (1 Votes)
- New Orleans BBQ Shrimp 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Sicilian Bruschetta 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Garlicky Black-Pepper Shrimp &... 3.8/5 (5 Votes)
- Paula's Easy Christmas Sugar Cookie 4.5/5 (37 Votes)