Grilled Cumin-Lamb Pitas With Couscous And Yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 1/4 pounds boneless lamb sirloin trimmed, and cut into 1" cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup couscous
- 1/2 cucumber seeded, chopped
- 1 ripe tomato chopped
- 1/2 small onion halved, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 pita breads - (6" dia)
Set strainer over large bowl. Line strainer with 2 layers of cheesecloth (do not let strainer touch bottom of bowl). Spoon yogurt into strainer. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour (liquid will drain out and yogurt will thicken; discard liquid). Mix yogurt, garlic and lemon juice in small bowl. Season to taste with salt.
Rub cumin and coriander over lamb pieces. Thread lamb onto 6 metal skewers. (Yogurt and lamb can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover separately and chill.)
Combine 1 cup water and 1/4 teaspoon salt in medium saucepan. Bring to boil. Add couscous. Remove from heat. Cover; let stand until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Transfer couscous to large bowl; fluff with fork. Cool to room temperature. Stir in chopped cucumber, tomato, onion, olive oil and fresh dill. Season with salt and pepper.
Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Grill lamb to desired doneness, turning frequently, about 10 minutes for medium-rare. Transfer to platter. Sprinkle with salt. Grill pitas until heated through and lightly toasted, about 1 minute per side.
Place 1 pita on each of 6 plates. Spread yogurt mixture evenly over pitas. Spoon couscous down center of pitas. Slide lamb off skewers onto couscous.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.4/5 (1062 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.3/5 (949 Votes)
- Feta-Scallion Couscous Cakes With... 4.9/5 (8 Votes)
- Pomegranate Israeli Couscous 4.7/5 (11 Votes)
- Maple Seared Scallops 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Beach House Seafood Strata 0/5 (0 Votes)
- French Veal 0/5 (0 Votes)
- London Broil Turkey 0/5 (0 Votes)