Green Beans With Mushroom-Madeira Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms stemmed and sliced
- 6 ounces oyster mushrooms sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1/2 cup Madeira
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 pound fresh green beans trimmed
- Vegetable oil for deep-frying
- 2 large leeks, white and pale green parts only sliced thin
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add all mushrooms and thyme; sauté 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons shallots; sauté until mushrooms are tender, about 3 minutes. Add Madeira and simmer until almost all liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes. Add cream and simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Set sauce aside.
Cook beans in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 5 minutes. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water; cool. Drain. (Sauce and beans can be made 6 hours ahead. Cover separately; chill.)
Pour enough oil into large deep saucepan to reach depth of 4 inches. Heat oil to 350 degrees. Place 1/4 of leeks in small metal strainer. Lower strainer into oil; fry until golden, 40 seconds. Lift strainer from oil. Drain leeks on paper towels. Repeat with remaining leeks in 3 more batches. Season leeks with salt.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add beans and remaining 1 tablespoon shallots; toss to heat through. Season with salt and pepper. Place beans on platter.
Bring sauce to simmer. Spoon sauce over beans. Sprinkle with fried leeks.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (897 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Garlic Lemon Chicken with Green... 4.6/5 (81 Votes)
- Crispy Baked Parmesan Green Bean... 4.6/5 (67 Votes)
- Garlic & Lemon Chicken w/ Green... 4.7/5 (55 Votes)