Coconut Crunch Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 (5.4 ounce) can cream of coconut
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups sweetened shredded coconut (8 ounces)
- Chocolate Sauce, for serving
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 10-inch springform pan. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, stir cream of coconut and vanilla.
Beat butter and coconut oil on medium-high until smooth. Slowly add sugar; beat until pale and fluffy, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce speed to medium; add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each and scraping down bowl as needed. With mixer on low, add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with 2 batches of cream-of-coconut mixture. Beat until just combined.
Topping: Whisk egg whites and salt with a mixer until thick and frothy, about 1 minute. Stir in milk and vanilla. Fold in coconut.
Spread batter in pan. Dollop topping over batter; carefully spread in an even layer. Bake on a rimmed baking sheet until a toothpick comes out with just a few moist crumbs, about 1 hour (tent with foil if browning too quickly). Let cool completely; remove from pan. Cut into wedges, drizzle with sauce, and serve with extra sauce on the side.