Grilled Fish In A Spicy Citrus Marinade
- 4 firm mild white fish fillets - (6 oz ea) (such as grouper, sea bass, flounder, cod or halibut)
- Sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 walnut-sized piece of fresh ginger peeled, sliced thin
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 2 teaspoon minced jalapeño chili
- 2 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lime quartered (optional)
Place the fish fillets in a non-aluminum container and season lightly with salt. In a food processor, combine the onion, ginger, cilantro, garlic, chili, lime zest, pepper, lime juice and olive oil. Using on-off pulses, pulse until a paste forms. Rub the paste evenly over both sides of each fish fillet. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or for up to 4 hours.
Prepare a fire in a charcoal grill or preheat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
Season the fish fillets with salt again. Lightly oil the grill or grill pan. Grill the fish, turning once, until opaque throughout when pierced with a knife, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
Transfer to warmed individual plates. Serve immediately with lime wedges, if desired.
This recipe yields 4 servings.