Spaghetti with Mussels
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 lbs. small mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 lb. spaghetti
- 1/4 cup finely chopped Italian parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. hot red pepper flakes--or any amount if you don't want it spicy.
Bring 6 quarts of water to a boil and add 2 Tbsp. salt.
In a 12 Inch sauté pan, heat the olive oil over med-high heat. add the garlic and cook until light golden brown, about a minute. Add the wine, raise the heat and bring to a boil. Add the mussels. Cook, stirring and tossing, until they have opened, about 4 minutes.
Meanwhile drop the pasta into the boiling water and cook according to directions for al dente. Drain well.
Add the pasta to the pan with the mussels and cook over high heat for 1 minute. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and serve immediately.