- FOR SERVING:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cups chopped onions
- 1/4 cup minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut crosswise
- into 1/2"-thick slices
- 1 package frozen peas - (10 oz)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk see * Note
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Fresh cilantro sprigs
- Steamed white rice
- Major Grey mango chutney
- Sliced peeled bananas
- Chopped pitted peeled mangoes
- Shredded unsweetened coconut
- Chopped toasted peanuts
* Note: Available at Indian, Southeast Asian and Latin American markets and at many supermarkets.
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until golden, about 15 minutes. Add ginger and garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add curry, cumin and cinnamon; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour, then yogurt and tomato paste, whisking until sauce is smooth, about 1 minute. Add broth and applesauce. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly. Cover and chill. Bring to simmer before continuing.)
Add chicken and peas to sauce. Simmer until chicken is almost cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add sour cream and coconut milk. Reduce heat to medium-low. Stir until chicken is cooked through and sauce thickens enough to coat spoon, about 3 minutes (do not boil). Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Garnish with cilantro sprigs.
Place rice, chutney, bananas, mangoes, coconut and peanuts in separate bowls. Serve alongside curry.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.