Crispy Salmon With Spiced Lentils
- 1 1/2 cups French green lentils
- 8 whole cloves
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion minced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tomatoes peeled, seeded, and chopped - (fresh or canned)
- 1 1/2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 skinless salmon fillets, 3/4" to 1" thk - (5 to 6 oz ea)
- Lemon wedges for serving
Pick over the lentils and discard any misshapen lentils and stones. Rinse well and place in a large saucepan. Add water to cover by 2 inches. Stick the cloves into the yellow onion and add to the saucepan along with the bay leaves. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered, until the lentils are tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and discard the onion and bay leaves. Set the lentils aside.
In a large fry pan over medium heat, warm 1 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the red onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic, tomatoes, clam juice, cumin, ginger, turmeric, paprika and cayenne and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the parsley, cilantro and lentils and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are hot, about 2 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Keep warm.
Preheat a stovetop grill pan over high heat until very hot, about 15 minutes. Brush the salmon with the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and place on the pan. Cook until golden and crisp underneath, 4 to 5 minutes. Using tongs, turn over the salmon, season with salt and pepper and continue to cook until golden underneath and opaque throughout, 3 to 4 minutes more. Alternatively, prepare a hot fire in a charcoal grill. Brush the salmon with oil as directed and grill until golden and opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
To serve, spoon the warm lentils onto a warmed serving platter. Place the salmon fillets in the center and garnish with lemon wedges. Serve immediately.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Passover French Toast With Concord... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Weakfish Roasted With Tomato And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Swordfish Baked In Horseradish... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Salmon Creole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Black Bean Cakes With Spicy... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Black Eyed Pea And Sausage Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Rick Bayless' Grilled Salmon Vera... 0/5 (0 Votes)