Chicken Tagine With Lemon And Olives
- 1 chicken - (abt 3 lbs)
- 2 tablespoons tagine spices
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves sliced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 small yellow onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley plus
- more for garnish
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 preserved lemon wedges rinsed, pulp removed (or 1 lemon peel, cut 1" long strips)
- 1 cup green or black olives
- Cooked couscous or basmati rice for serving
Cut the chicken into serving pieces: 2 legs, 2 thighs and 2 wings; cut each half-breast in half. Set aside.
In a small sauté pan over medium heat, toast the spices, stirring frequently, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add the bay leaves, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the garlic, salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 3 hours.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and reserve the marinade.
In a tagine or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, warm the remaining 2 tablespoons oil until almost smoking. Working in batches, brown the chicken on all sides, 5 to 7 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.
Add the onions to the tagine and cook, stirring, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the chicken, reserved marinade, the 1/2 cup parsley, cilantro, lemon juice, preserved lemon and olives.
Cover the tagine and cook until the chicken is tender and falling off the bone, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Discard the bay leaves. Garnish with parsley and serve the chicken directly from the tagine. Accompany with couscous.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
You'll also love
- Passover French Toast With Concord... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Weakfish Roasted With Tomato And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Swordfish Baked In Horseradish... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Tuna With Orange Marinade 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Lemongrass Pork Tenderloin... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Olive Coleslaw 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Potato Salad With Black Olives 0/5 (0 Votes)