Sweet Potato Yeast Bread
My good friend Mary turned me onto this recipe even though I'm not a fan of sweet potatoes. This delicious Sweet Potato Yeast Bread is definitely the exception. I love it toasted with the cream cheese nut spread, YUM!
- CREAM CHEESE NUT SPREAD:
- 2 (.25-ounces each) packages active dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cups warm water (110°F to 115°F)
- 1 cup sweet potatoes, mashed (without added milk or butter)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, finely chopped
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 65mins
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, honey, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 to 8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-inch x 5-inch loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes.
Bake at 375°F for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Remove from pans to wire racks. Melt remaining butter; brush over warm bread. Cool.
In a small bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Stir in walnuts. Serve with bread and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Golden Corral Rolls 4.4/5 (181 Votes)
- Buttered Rosemary Rolls 4.6/5 (102 Votes)
- Ham with Cherry Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Bacon Topped Meat Loaf 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Light Cornmeal Crescents 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Chicken Over Spinach 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potatoes and Cauliflower 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Mashed Potato Meat Loaf 0/5 (0 Votes)