Shrimp & Sausage Purloo
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 8 oz. frozen okra or frozen green beans
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 4 oz. best quality bacon
- 8 oz. smoked sausage, such as kielbasa
- 1-1/2 lbs. small shrimp
- Black pepper
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Sea salt
- Worcestershire sauce
Peel the shrimp. Devein them if necessary, put them in a bowl and add 3 tbsps. Worcestershire sauce. Toss and refrigerate.
Peel and dice the onion.
Core, seed, and dice the green pepper.
Slice the frozen okra into 3/8-inch rounds. If you’re using frozen beans, cut them into 1-inch long pieces. Re-freeze until you’re ready to cook them.
Rinse the rice in the strainer until the water runs clear.
Dice the bacon.
Cut the kielbasa into 3/4-inch thick rounds.
Line a plate with paper towels.
Put the bacon into a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. When it starts to sizzle, reduce the heat to medium and cook it until it has rendered most of its fat, 7 minutes.
Transfer the bacon to the plate lined with paper towels to drain.
Add the onion and the bell pepper to the bacon fat and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent, 3 minutes. Add the frozen okra and the kielbasa and stir.
Add the rice to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
Add 2 cups water, ½ tsp. salt, several grinds pepper and the cooked bacon. Cover and cook until the rice is plump through and has absorbed the water, 20-25 minutes. Check the rice occasionally to see if it needs more water and add 1 tbsp. at a time, if necessary.
Check the rice. Add water if necessary.
When the rice is cooked, stir in the shrimp and Worcestershire sauce. Cover and cook for 3 minutes.
You'll also love
- Raspberry Lemon Scones 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chipped Beef Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crab Cakes - Ina 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Deep Dish Sausage Quiche 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Swordfish with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Crab and Asparagus Soup - crockpot 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Coquille of Shrimp and Scallops 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Elegante 0/5 (0 Votes)