Drunken Beans (Frijoles Borrochos)
Start with canned pinto beans and simmer them with a blend of seasonings, and a bottle of beer, to make Drunken Beans, or Frijoles Borrochos. Stir in bacon and lime juice right before serving and top with fresh cilantro.
- 4 pieces uncooked bacon, diced
- 1 small white onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, stemmed, seeded and diced (add an extra jalapeno for more heat)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (12-ounce) bottle dark Mexican beer (I used Negra Modelo)
- 4 (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from gimmesomeoven.com
Cook bacon in a large saute pan over medium-high heat until crispy, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon and transfer to a separate plate. Set aside.
Meanwhile, reserve 1 tablespoon of bacon grease in the saute pan, discarding the extra. Add the onion and jalapeno, and saute for 5 minutes or until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the garlic, and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the beer, beans, brown sugar, oregano, chili powder, salt and cumin, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the beans reach a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, and continue simmering uncovered for about 15 minutes.
When ready to serve, stir in the bacon and lime juice. Then serve the beans topped with fresh cilantro.
You'll also love
- Cream Cheese Banana Bread 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Apple Walnut Tart with Maple... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Black Bean Tacos with Avocado... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Emma's Vegetarian Black Bean Soup 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Italian Easter Pie 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Sparkling Bellini Jello Shots 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Turkey, Mushroom, and Pinto Bean... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Pepper Grilled Fish Tacos 4.7/5 (3 Votes)