SPAGHETTI SQUASH LASAGNA WITH SPINACH
Hands-on: 40 min. Total: 1 hr. 50 min.
SERVES 4 (serving size: 1 squash half)
CALORIES 374; FAT 18.9g (sat 6.2g, mono 5.4g, poly 2.6g); PROTEIN 25g; CARB 30g; FIBER 6g; CHOL 65mg; IRON 4mg; SODIUM 613mg; CALC 411mg
These squash-filled "boats" help keep portions in check, cut carbs in half, boost fiber, and pack nearly 2 cups of vegetables into each hearty serving.
- 2 small spaghetti squash (about 1 1/2 pounds each)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 (8-ounce) package fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (about 1/2 cup), divided
- 8 ounces 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce (such as Dell'Amore)
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 120mins
Adapted from cookinglight.com
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cut each squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds; discard. Place squash halves, cut sides up, on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes. Scrape inside of squash with a fork to remove spaghetti-like strands. Place strands on a clean dish towel; squeeze until barely moist.
3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add spinach; cook 1 minute or until spinach wilts. Remove from heat. Combine spinach mixture, squash strands, ricotta cheese, salt, and half of mozzarella cheese in a medium bowl.
4. Return skillet to medium-high heat. Add turkey to pan; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Add marinara sauce; cover, reduce heat to medium, and simmer 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
5. Increase oven temperature to 425°.
6. Spoon sauce evenly into the bottom of each squash half. Top evenly with squash mixture. Sprinkle evenly with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425° for 20 minutes.
7. Preheat broiler to high (keep squash in oven). Broil squash 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is golden brown and bubbly. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes.