Celery Seed Potato Salad
GRACE YASKOVIC • Lake Hiawatha, New Jersey
This fresh-tasting potato salad is seasoned with onion
and celery seed. The mayonnaise dressing gets its
sweetness from sugar and whipping cream, and the
tang is from mustard and vinegar.
- 6 medium red potatoes
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, diced
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon each salt and celery seed
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon each cornstarch and ground mustard
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 4-1/2 teaspoons butter
1. Place potatoes in a Dutch oven and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain. When cool enough to handle, peel and cube potatoes. Place in a large bowl. Add the hardcooked eggs, celery, onion, salt and celery seed; set aside.
2. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and
mustard. Stir in cream, egg and vinegar until smooth.
Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture coats the
back of a metal spoon. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
3. Remove from the heat; let stand for 20 minutes. Whisk in mayonnaise and butter until smooth. Cool slightly. Pour
over potato mixture; mix well. Cover and refrigerate for at
least 6 hours.