Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 jalapeños, finely diced
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5oz can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 chicken breasts, boneless & skinless
- 2 limes, juiced, plus wedges for garnish
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 8-inch flour tortilla, grilled and cut into thin strips
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1. In a large saucepan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes. Once the onions have softened, add the jalapeños and cook for another minute.
2. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes and black beans into the pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to simmer and add your chicken breasts. Cook the chicken for 20-25 minutes.
3. Once chicken is cooked, remove from pot. When cool enough to handle, shred it and set it aside. Add lime juice and fresh cilantro to the pot.
4. In a serving bowl, add a mound of shredded chicken. Ladle soup over chicken and top with a lime wedge, grilled tortilla strips, avocado slices and cheese.