Slow Cooker Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
- 40 garlic cloves peeled
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 8 5 to 7 ounce bone in chicken thighs trimmed or multiple split breasts
- salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup dry sherry
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 12" baguette sliced 3/4 inch on the ias
1. Combine garlic, 1 tsp oil and sugar in bowl. Cover and microwave until garlic is translucent and yields slightly when squeezed -- about 4 minutes. Stir halfway through cooking. Pour off any liquid and set aside.
2. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tsp oil in skillet until smoking. Cook chicken skin side down until well browned about 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to plate, skin side up. Pour off all but 2 tbs fat from skillet.
3. Add microwaved garlic to fat in skillet and cook over medium high heat until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Off heat, stir in sherry; return skillet to heat and cook until nearly evaporated, about 4 minutes scraping up any browned bits. Add broth and bring to a boil.
4. Transfer garlic broth mixture to slow cooker. Nestle chicken skin side up on top of garlic cloves. Cover and cook until chicken registers 175 degrees about 3 hours.
5. Transfer chicken to platter. Add lemon juice, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper to sauce. Pour sauce around chicken.
Note: Gluten free only if you omit the bread.