GARLIC LEMON CHICKEN
- 12 skinless chicken breasts and thighs (or other assorted pieces)
- 8 oz. black olives
- 2 lemons, divided
- 8 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 springs rosemary
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1. Season chicken pieces evenly with salt and pepper and oregano, and heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pan or skilled over medium-high heat.
2. Once oil is hot, but not smoking, add chicken (in batches) to the pan to brown on both sides. About 3 minutes per side.
3. Pour in another 1 tablespoon olive oil and brown remaining chicken. Set aside.
4. Transfer chicken and juices to slow cooker and add garlic, onion, olives, chicken broth, water, the juice of 1 lemon and rosemary.
5. Slice remaining lemon into thin slices and spread out over chicken pieces.
6. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours, or until chicken is completely cooked through. Optional: transfer chicken to serving platter and pour cooking liquids into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. A little at a time, add 1-2 tablespoons flour and 1-2 tablespoons butter to thicken the liquids and create a gravy-like sauce for the chicken.