Seafood Curry With Coconut, Citrus And Cucumber
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
- 1 yellow onion finely minced
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon finely-minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated lime zest
- 2 teaspoons minced lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño chile - (to 2)
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups fish or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro pureed with
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or to taste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- 2 small squid
- 2 small cucumbers peeled, quartered
- lengthwise, seeded and cut 2" pieces
- 1 pound firm white fish fillets
- 24 clams well scrubbed
- 8 medium or large shrimp peeled, deveined
- 8 sea scallops
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
In a small sauté pan over medium heat, toast the coriander, cumin and pepper, shaking the pan often, until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes; reserve.
In a very large saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger, garlic, lime zest, lemongrass, chili and toasted spices and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the coconut milk, broth, pureed cilantro, lime juice and brown sugar, bring to a boil and immediately reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes to blend the flavors of the curry base. Season with salt and set aside.
Meanwhile, clean the squid: Working with 1 squid at a time, pull the head from the body. Cut the head from the tentacles above the eyes and discard the head. Squeeze the hard "beak" from the base of the tentacles. Cut the tentacles in half and set them aside. Remove the transparent "quill" from the body and discard; rinse the body well and peel off the speckled skin. Cut the body into rings 1 inch wide. Set aside.
Bring a saucepan three-fourths full of salted water to a boil. Add the cucumbers, boil for 3 minutes, drain and cool under running water.
Return the curry base to a simmer over medium heat. Cut the fish fillets into 2-inch cubes and add to the base along with the clams (discarding any that fail to close to the touch) and cucumbers. Simmer until the fish is opaque throughout, 8 minutes. Add the shrimp, scallops and squid during the last 3 minutes of cooking.
Spoon into a warmed serving bowl, discarding any clams that failed to open. Garnish with the mint and cilantro and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Passover French Toast With Concord... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Weakfish Roasted With Tomato And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Swordfish Baked In Horseradish... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Tuna With Orange Marinade 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Coconut Toffee Crisps 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Marinated Fish With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Candied Cucumber Rings 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cucumber, Radish, Watercress... 0/5 (0 Votes)