Passover French Toast With Concord Grape Wine Syrup
- CONCORD GRAPE WINE SYRUP:
- 1 1/2 cups Concord grape wine or grape juice
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- PASSOVER FRENCH TOAST:
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- unsalted butter melted, for cooking (or nondairy margarine)
- 1/2 cup milk or orange juice
- 3 eggs well beaten
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon or orange zest
- 6 slices Passover Orange Sponge Cake - (to 8) see recipe (each slice 1" thick)
To make the syrup, in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the wine and sugar to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes. Add the orange zest and simmer until the syrup is reduced by half, 10 to 15 minutes. The syrup may be covered and refrigerated for up to 1 day. Serve warm or at room temperature.
In a small bowl, stir together the cinnamon and sugar; set aside.
Heat a large griddle or sauté pan over medium heat for 3 minutes. Brush with the melted butter.
In a large, shallow baking dish, whisk together the milk, eggs and lemon zest. Add the sponge cake slices and soak, turning once, until soft, 20 to 30 seconds per side.
Fry the cake slices, turning once, until brown on both sides, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture and serve with the Concord grape wine syrup.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.
You'll also love
- Weakfish Roasted With Tomato And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Swordfish Baked In Horseradish... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lemon Broiled Striped Bass 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Tuna With Orange Marinade 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sausage And Grapes With Saba 5/5 (1 Votes)
Review this recipe