Tomatillo Chipotle Salsa
This is one of the best table salsas that I have had. I have also played with the recipe a bit. If you want the salsa to have a little more HEAT, then add 3 Jalapeños to the ingredient list. Roast the peppers with everything else in the recipe
- 12 about 12 tomatillos, husked washed and dried
- 2 roma tomatoes, (8 ounces)
- 1/2 white onion, peeled but with root end intact
- 3 jalapeños ****optional, if you want more spicy heat in your salsa
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup chipotles in adobo
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 350
1. Roast the tomatillos, tomatoes, onion and garlic, for roughly 15-20 minutes, until roasted (roast the onion cut side down, roast the garlic in the skins). Check the garlic at 10-15 minutes, once the garlic is soft, remove from the oven
2. Once all items are roasted, cut the onion in several pieces. ***Cut the stems off of the jalapeños,if using, slice in half and remove the ribs and seeds. Peel the garlic. In a food processor or blender, place the roasted tomatillos, tomatoes, onion, ***jalapenos, garlic, salt and chipotles in adobo. Cover and let the vegetables steam for 5 minutes, to bring out the juices.
3. Pulse to make a fairly smooth salsa with a little bit of texture. Add the cilantro and pulse a couple of more times to combine. Pour salsa into a serving bowl.
4. For a thinner salsa, stir in water, up to 1 cup, a little at a time. Taste and adjust the seasoning as desired.