Gnocchi alla Romana
Recipe courtesy of Giada di Laurentiis
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 3/4 cup semolina flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper, optional
1. Lightly oil a small baking sheet. Whisk the stock, semolina flour, and salt in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat until the mixture bubbles and is very thick, about 10 minutes.
2. Beat the egg in a large bowl. Gradually beat the semolina mixture into the egg.
3. Transfer the gnocchi mixture to the prepared baking sheet, spreading it to form a 1/2inch thick layer. Cover and refrigerate until the gnocchi mixture is cold and firm, at least 1 hour.
4. Preheat the broiler. Generously butter a 10-inch diameter gratin dish. Using a 2 inch diameter cookie cutter, cut out rounds from the gnocchi mixture. Arrange the gnocchi in the prepared baking/gratin dish, overlapping slightly. Brush the remaining butter over the gnocchi. Sprinkle with the cheese and pepper, if desired. Broil until the gnocchi are heated through and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes.