- 3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin olive oil
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 bl. Lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 c. half & half ( I use fat free)
- 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg
- 2 cups canned, whole peeled tomoatoes, w/juice, coarsely chopped.
1) Put oil, butter & onion in a deep saucepan-saute until onion is a light golden brown
1) Add celery and carrot, and continue sauteing until they start to change color.
3) Add meat, breaking it up, saute until brown.
4) Add wine and cook until it evaporates.
5) Add milk and nutmeg, stirring until most of the milk evaporates.
6) Add tomatoes and stir. Once the tomatoes start to bubble, turn the heat to low. Simmer partially covered for 2 hrs. stirring occasionally.
Start early in the day--this recipe takes several hours.