Smoked Seafood Vol-au-Vent
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 leeks, (white and light green parts only), diced
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cups cups clam juice
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 oz (227 g) scallops, (about 10), cut in half
- 8 oz (227 g) large shrimp, (about 16), peeled and deveined
- 8 oz oz (227 g) hot smoked fish, (such as haddock, cod, salmon or trout), flaked
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 6 baked puff pastry shells, or vol-au-vent, warmed
- 2 tbsp minced fresh chives or fresh parsley
In saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook leek, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour; cook until just starting to colour, about 2 minutes.
Stir in clam juice until smooth; stir in milk and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thick enough to coat back of spoon, about 5 minutes.
Add scallops, shrimp, fish, marjoram, salt and pepper; simmer, stirring constantly, until scallops are opaque and shrimp are pink, about 5 minutes.
Spoon into warm puff pastry shells. Sprinkle with chives.