Caramelized Onion And Sour Cream Spread
- 3 tablespoons olive oil plus
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1/2 fennel bulb cored, sliced thin
- 2 teaspoons herbes de Provence see * Note
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 8 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 18 slices olive bread, 4" by 1 1/2" by 1/4" thk
* Note: A combination of dried thyme, basil, savory and fennel seeds can be substituted for herbes de Provence.
Heat 3 tablespoons oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and next 4 ingredients. Cover; cook until vegetables release their juices, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Uncover; sauté until juices evaporate, about 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook until vegetables are very tender and just beginning to brown, about 12 minutes longer. Cool completely.
Puree vegetable mixture and sour cream in processor until almost smooth. Season generously with salt and pepper. Transfer to bowl. Sprinkle with capers.
Preheat broiler. Arrange bread slices on baking sheet. Brush both sides of bread slices with 1/3 cup oil. Toast about 2 minutes per side. Cool. Serve with spread.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.