- 2 pounds russet, Yukon gold, or long white potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup milk, or cream
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Peel and cut potatoes into 1 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place in a medium saucepan. Cover with cold water; add 1 tablespoon salt. bring to a simmer. Keep potatoes at a low simmer until a knife slips in and out easily. Drain potatoes in a colander. Place milk in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
For the electric-mixer method, transfer hot, drained potatoes to bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium-low speed, until most lumps have disappeared, about 1 minute. Add butter; mix until blended. On low speed, add hot milk in a slow stream, then add pepper, nutmeg, and salt to taste. Mix to combine.