Crispy Smashed Za'atar Potatoes
- 2 1/2 lb baby potatoes
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt, plus additional, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-4 Tablespoons za'atar
Adapted from overtimecook.com
1. Preheat oven to 425. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
2. Place the potatoes in a large pot and add cold water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat and stir in one Tablespoon salt.
3. Cover the pot, then reduce heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes, depending on size.
4. Drain potatoes, then arrange in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Place another baking sheet on top of the potatoes, then press down slightly to "smash" them. (Alternatively, you can smash down on each one with a large fork or potato masher.)
5. Drizzle oil over the potatoes, then season generously with salt and pepper. (You can taste and adjust the seasoning.)
6. Roast the potatoes until golden and crisp, about 10-15 minutes, depending on how crispy you like them.
7. Remove from oven and sprinkle zaatar over all of the potatoes.
8. Optional: return the potatoes to the oven for another 5 minutes after adding the za'atar.
9. Serve immediately.