Cajun-Style Blackened Halibut
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds crushed
- 4 halibut fillets - (6 oz ea)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Mix first 7 ingredients in small bowl. Place fillets on baking sheet. Brush on both sides with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle top of each with seasoning.
Heat heavy large skillet (preferably cast-iron) over high heat until very hot. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil; swirl to coat. Place fillets, seasoned-side down, in skillet. Cook until very brown on bottom, 1 minute. Return fillets, browned-side up, to baking sheet. Place in oven; bake until just opaque in center, about 8 minutes. Top each with 1 teaspoon butter.
This recipe yields 4 servings.