Warm Brown Rice Salad
- 2 3/4 cups salted water
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain brown rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons rice or Champagne vinegar - (to 4)
- Touch of Dijon mustard
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups frozen petite peas thawed
- 1/4 cup torn basil leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
Bring water to a boil, add brown rice, cover and cook over very low heat for 30 minutes. Check the brown rice; if not tender, cook for 5 minutes longer. Drain and spread the rice out in a shallow bowl to cool somewhat.
While rice is cooking, in the bottom of a mixing bowl combine the oils, vinegar, mustard and season to taste with salt and pepper.
When ready to serve, combine the rice, peas, basil and parsley and adjust the seasoning.
This recipe yields 4 servings.