Brussels Sprout Salad
Brussels sprout salad is dressed in a warm bacon vinaigrette that gently tenderizes the sprouts while letting them retain their fresh, mustardy flavor. Bites of quick-pickled shallot add pop to the salad. We dress the salad in the skillet before transferring it to a serving bowl.
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 shallot, halved through root end and sliced thin crosswise
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed, halved, and sliced thin
- 1 1/2 cups finely shredded radicchio, long strands cut into bite-size lengths
- 2 ounces Parmesan, shaved into thin strips using vegetable peeler
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
1. Whisk vinegar, mustard, sugar, and 1/4-teaspoon salt together in bowl. Add shallot, cover tightly with plastic wrap, and microwave until steaming, 30 to 60 seconds. Stir briefly to submerge shallot. Cover and let cool to room temperature, about 15 minutes.
2. Cook bacon in 12-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring frequently, until crisp and well rendered, 6 to 8 minutes. Off heat, whisk in shallot mixture. Add Brussels sprouts and radicchio and toss with tongs until dressing is evenly distributed and sprouts darken slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to serving bowl. Add Parmesan and almonds and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.