Pan-Roasted Veal Chops with Cabernet Sauce
TOTALTIME: 1 HR 20MINPlus overnight marinating SERVINGS: 4
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- Four 12-ounce, bone-in veal rib chops
- 2 cups Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Adapted from foodandwine.com
1.In a large, shallow dish, combine 1/4 cup of the olive oil with the thyme sprigs and garlic. Add the veal chops and turn to coat with the marinade. Refrigerate overnight.
2.In a medium saucepan, combine the wine with half of the shallots and boil until the wine has reduced to 1/2 cup, 15 minutes.
3.In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add the remaining shallot and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, 3 minutes. Stir in the flour. Slowly whisk in the stock until smooth, then bring to a boil, whisking until thickened. Whisk in the reduced wine and simmer over low heat, whisking, for 30 minutes. Strain the sauce into the medium saucepan. Season with salt and pepper.
4.Preheat the oven to 325°. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil until shimmering. Remove the veal chops from the marinade; discard the thyme and scrape off the garlic. Season the chops with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Cook over high heat until richly browned, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to the oven and roast the chops for about 10 minutes, turning once halfway through; the veal should be just pink in the center. Transfer the chops to plates and spoon the sauce on top. Serve with Potato Puree.
You'll also love
- Mango & Raspberry Semifreddo 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Phyllo-Topped Seafood Pie 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Ginger-Soy Chicken Thighs with... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Iceberg Wedge with Warm Bacon and... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Roasted Ducks with... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Chicken-Fried Venison Steak 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Veal Scaloppine with Prosciutto... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)