Brie, Roquefort And Wild Mushroom Fondue
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 ounces fresh shiitake mushrooms stemmed, caps diced
- 1 shallot minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces chilled 60% (double crème) Brie cheese (do not use triple crème)
- 2 ounces chilled Roquefort cheese
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 crusty white bread loaf - (13 oz) cut 1 1/2" cubes
- Vegetables, such as carrot sticks, blanched broccoli, cauliflower and boiled
- small potatoes
Heat oil in heavy medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, shallot and thyme; sauté until mushrooms just begin to soften, about 2 minutes.
Place flour in large bowl. Cut rind from Brie; discard rind. Cut Brie into cubes; drop into flour. Toss to coat; separate cheese cubes. Crumble Roquefort into same bowl; toss to coat.
Place wine in heavy medium saucepan and bring to simmer over medium heat. Add cheese by handfuls, stirring until melted after each addition. Continue stirring until smooth.
Stir mushroom mixture into fondue. Season with generous amount of pepper. Transfer to fondue pot. Set pot over candle or canned heat burner. Serve with bread and vegetables.
This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.