Acorn Squash Bisque
Pureed acorn squash, a little butter with half and half, yes - just a little is what gives this soup its great flavor and creamy texture!
- 2 acorn squash (about 3-pounds)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can chicken broth (I used 4 chicken bouillon cubes instead) plus 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup half and half
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from marthastewart.com
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Halve squashes lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Place cut side down on a rimmed baking sheet. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. Roast until almost tender, 15 to 25 minutes. When cool enough to handle, scrape out flesh into a bowl; discard skin. Alternately, to prepare squash in microwave - place squash on a paper towel and microwave on high 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the microwave, and halve each squash lengthwise (to speed cooling). When cool enough to handle, scrape out flesh into a bowl; discard skin.
In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add squash, thyme, broth and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil over high heat; reduce to medium and cook until squash is very tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
Working in batches, puree mixture in a blender until very smooth, about 1 minute. Return to pan. Add half and half, and season generously with salt and pepper. Thin bisque, if needed, with additional water. Serve garnished with additional thyme, if desired.
You'll also love
- VIDALIA ONION PIE 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- OLD BAY Hot Crab Dip 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Turmeric And Coconut Milk Bedtime... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Tomato Preserves 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- 2-Ingredient Chocolate Cake 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin, Arugula,... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Spring Pea Salad with Creamy Curry... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)