Strawberry Ombre Cake
This cake is loaded with fresh strawberries, both in the cake batter itself and as a garnish. Strawberry frosting puts it over the strawberry edge!
- 1 (16-ounce) package fresh strawberries, washed, hulled
- 1 (15.25 to 16.5-ounce) package white cake mix
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 egg whites
- 3 tablespoons water
- Red food color
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 6 cups powdered sugar
- Sliced fresh strawberries, if desired
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from landolakes.com
Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 2 (8-inch) round baking pans; set aside.
Place strawberries into 5-cup blender container. Cover; blend until smooth.
Combine 1 cup prepared strawberries, cake mix, 1/4 cup butter, egg whites, water and 3 drops food color in large bowl. Beat at low speed for 30 seconds or until mixed. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes or until well mixed.
Spread about 3/4 cup batter into 1 prepared pan. Add 5 drops red food color to remaining batter; beat until well mixed. Remove about 3/4 cup batter; spread into another prepared pan.
Bake 9 to 12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely. Clean pans; grease and lightly flour pans.
Repeat with remaining batter adding 9 drops food color to third layer, 12 drops to fourth layer and 15 drops to fifth layer. Bake and cool cakes as directed above.
Combine 1/4 cup prepared strawberries, 1/2 cup butter and cream cheese in large bowl; beat at medium speed until well mixed. Add powdered sugar; beat at low speed until smooth.
Assemble cake by placing 1 tablespoon frosting in center of serving plate; place darkest layer, bottom-side up, in center of plate. Spread about 1/2 cup frosting evenly over layer; top with next darkest layer. Continue with cake layers and frosting until all layers are stacked; frost top and sides of cake.
Top with fresh sliced strawberries, if desired. Store refrigerated.
You'll also love
- Egg Nog Milkshake 4.5/5 (43 Votes)
- Cider Glazed Boneless Pork Loin... 4.4/5 (54 Votes)
- Avocado & Strawberry Salad with... 4.6/5 (33 Votes)
- Better than Fries Potatoes 4.4/5 (49 Votes)
- Mint Chocolate Chip Cake 4/5 (92 Votes)
- Copycat Panera Bread Double Orange... 4.1/5 (79 Votes)
- Homemade Strawberry Cake 4.4/5 (54 Votes)
- Banana Bread Brownies 4.1/5 (79 Votes)