Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Goat Cheese & Walnuts
- 2 lbs (1 kg) beets, preferably golden
- or mixed colour (4 large or 8 small)
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) water
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) sherry vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) walnut oil
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- ⅓ cup (75 mL) chopped shallots
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped mint
- ½ cup (125 mL) walnut pieces
- 4 oz (125 g) goat cheese
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby arugula
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chive oil (or other fresh herb oil), see TIP
1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
2. Place beets in a baking dish with olive oil and water. Cover tightly and bake for 40 minutes to 1 hour, depending on size. Beets should be crisp-tender, not soft. Slip skins off beets and coarsely grate. If using a mixture of beets, keep colours separate.
3. Combine sherry vinegar, walnut oil and olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle dressing over beets and toss to combine. Stir in shallots, mint and walnut pieces and sprinkle with goat cheese.
4. Combine beet mixture (if using) just before serving. Divide arugula between 4 salad plates, top each with a pile of beet salad and dot chive oil around the plates.
TIP To make chive oil combine ½ cup (125 mL) chives with ½ cup (125 mL) oil and 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped green onion tops. Bring to simmer on stove. Let sit for 2 hours, then strain. The oil should be a bright green colour.