2 Duck Goose’s Sweet & Sour Pork (GOOD)
- Pork and Brussels Sprouts:
- 1/2 pound Brussels sprouts, halved and blanched
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup potato starch
- 1 pound boneless pork butt, cut into bite-size cubes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, plus more for deep-frying
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 scallion, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces, for garnish
- Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Adapted from wsj.com
In a medium pot of boiling water, blanch Brussels sprouts until firm-tender, 4 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove Brussels sprouts and plunge directly into an ice-water bath. Drain and dry Brussels sprouts. Toss with ⅛ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
Meanwhile, fill a large Ziploc bag with potato starch. Add pork to starch mixture in bag, seal and shake to coat. Remove pork from bag and shake off any excess starch.
Set a deep 6-quart sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add 4 inches oil. Heat to 350 degrees, using a hot-oil thermometer to monitor temperature. (If you don’t have a thermometer, stick a chopstick into oil; when oil bubbles around chopstick, it’s ready.)
Meanwhile, Make Sweet and Sour Sauce:
In a bowl, whisk all ingredients together until thoroughly combined.
Once oil reaches 350 degrees, add pork. Cook until pork cubes float to top and are golden brown, 8-9 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to transfer pork to a paper-towel lined plate. Season with ⅛ teaspoon salt.
In a wok or large sauté pan over medium-high heat, stir-fry blanched Brussels sprouts and pineapple cubes in 2 tablespoons canola oil until caramelized, about 12 minutes. Add fried pork and sweet and sour sauce, and cook until sauce boils and thickens, about 5 minutes. Everything should be evenly coated with sauce. Garnish with sliced scallions and season with remaining salt.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (890 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (896 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (706 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (678 Votes)
- Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Duck... 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Veal Chops with Grapes 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Veal Chops Saltimboca with Tomato... 5/5 (4 Votes)