- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
- 2 Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch freshly-ground black pepper
- 5 large sea scallops per person
- 10 one-inch slices uncooked bacon per person
- 2 red onions peeled, quartered, and separated into sections.
- 5 one-inch squares green pepper per person.
For the marinade: Whisk together vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and dill. When well combined, add tomatoes, salt and pepper. Set aside.
For the skewers: On wooden or metal skewers, beginning with bacon, alternate bacon, scallops, bacon, red onion, green pepper and bacon, until all 5 scallops are utilized.
Pour 3/4 of marinade over skewers, reserving 1/4 of marinade for basting. Refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes. Grill over hot coals or a hot gas barbecue 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Baste with reserved marinade each time skewer is turned.
Skewers are done when scallops are opaque in color and firm to the touch. Do not overcook, or scallops will become tough and stringy.
This recipe yields 6 servings.