Mashed Potatoes with Parmesan Cream
Recipe source: Food and Wine | November 2015
- These ultrarich mashed potatoes taste intensely of Parmesan. They can be made up to three days ahead of time, which makes them convenient for Thanksgiving.
- For the fluffiest mashed potatoes, put them through a ricer while still warm.
- 6 pounds large Yukon Gold potatoes—scrubbed, peeled and cut into large chunks
- Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/4 cups freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1. In a pot, cover the potatoes with water; bring to a boil. Add a generous pinch of salt and simmer over moderate heat until tender, 20 minutes. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine the butter, cream and milk; bring to a simmer. Add the cheese and let stand for 1 minute; whisk until smooth.
3. Pass the warm potatoes through a ricer into the pot. Fold in the Parmesan cream. Season generously with salt and pepper and serve.
MAKE AHEAD: The potatoes can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Reheat gently, adding tablespoons of milk if too thick.