Artisanal Macaroni and Cheese
Recipe source: A Chef's Studio
- 1 lb. cooked pasta (Penne or Mezze Penne works well)
- 8 Tbsp. butter
- 8 Tbsp. flour
- 3 cups milk (or more if needed)
- Pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz. goat cheese
- 3 cups grated cheese of choice (1/2 cup blue cheese adds depth of flavor) (Parmesan tends to break the sauce - use it on top, not in the mix)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in a large heavy pot, add flour and whisk until a paste forms. Lower heat and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes. Slowly add milk while whisking until fully incorporated.
3. Raise heat to medium high until sauce is bubbling and thickening. Add salt and pepper, and the pinch of nutmeg. Add cheese of choice and stir until just melted.
4. Remove from heat. In a greased 9 x 13-inch casserole dish, pour the sauce over the cooked pasta and add the goat cheese; mix well. Bake for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with Parmesan and/or Panko bread crumbs and bake 7 minutes more, until golden brown and bubbling.