Salmon Scampi With Wine
- 1 1/2 pounds salmon fillets
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 garlic clove crushed and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon whole tarragon
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 cup dry Marsala wine
Trim fillets to 1 1/2-inch pieces of uniform thickness. In frying pan, slowly cook 1 to 2 strips of bacon, or enough to yield 2 tablespoons drippings. Remove bacon and use for another dish.
Saute the salmon in the bacon drippings over medium heat, turning gently. Remove to a baking dish and keep warm. Deglaze pan with a little of the wine and scrape the residue from the pan over the fish.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt the butter and add the garlic and spices. Cook, stirring over medium-low heat, for 2 to 3 minutes to extract the flavors. Remove from heat and add the wine and lemon juice. Pour this sauce over the fish. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
Serve over rice, spooning pan juices over all. Garnish with lemon wedges and finely chopped parsley.
This recipe yields 3 to 4 servings.
Variation: Substitute dry white wine for the Marsala for a lighter, less rich dish.