White Bean, Kale And Roasted Vegetable Soup
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3 medium carrots peeled, and quartered lengthwise
- 2 large tomatoes quartered
- 1 large onion cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 small butternut squash peeled, seeded, and cut lengthwise into 1/2"-thick wedges
- 6 garlic cloves unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 6 cups canned vegetable broth or more if needed
- 4 cups finely-chopped kale
- 3 large fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 can Great Northern beans - (15 oz) drained
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray rimmed baking sheet with oil spray. Arrange carrots, tomatoes, onion, squash and garlic on sheet. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Bake until vegetables are brown and tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes.
Transfer carrots and squash to work surface. Cut into 1/2-inch pieces; set aside. Peel garlic cloves; place in processor. Add tomatoes and onion; puree until almost smooth. Pour 1/2 cup broth onto baking sheet; scrape up any browned bits. Transfer broth and vegetable puree to large pot. Add 5 1/2 cups broth, kale, thyme and bay leaf to pot; bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered until kale is tender, about 30 minutes.
Add beans and reserved carrots and squash to soup. Simmer 8 minutes to blend flavors, adding more broth to thin soup if necessary. Season with salt and pepper. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to simmer before serving.)
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Per serving: calories, 191; total fat, 4 g; saturated fat, 0.5 g; cholesterol, 0.
You'll also love
- Soup - Spiced Red Lentil, Tomato,... 4.5/5 (98 Votes)
- Vegetable Burgers With Eggplant... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Veal Saute With Merlot Pan Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Tuna And Red Onion Spiedini 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Spicy Rice And Kale 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pinto Bean, Tomato And Butternut... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Curried Spinach Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- White Bean Cassoulet 0/5 (0 Votes)