Cake like brownies with a hint of orange.
Recipe from Lisa at The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 6 tablespoons natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans, toasted and chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 10 table spoons (1 1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Oven to 350. Spray a 9x9x2 inch metal baking pan with nonstick spray.
Whisk ½ cup boiling water and cocoa powder in a small bowl to blend. Whisk the sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl to blend. Stir in the pecans.
Wisk the eggs in a large bowl. Add the butter, orange peel and vanilla, whisk to blend. Whisk the cocoa mixture into the egg mixture. Add the flour mixture and stir to blend. Transfer to prepared pan.
Bake until tester inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into 16 squares and serve.
Adapted from Homepage Café via Bon Appetit.