Dirty Rice Risotto
- 5 1/4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 8 ounces chicken livers
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Garnish: celery slices
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Bring 5 cups chicken broth to a simmer in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Maintain at a low simmer until ready to use.
2. Meanwhile, sauté livers in hot oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat 5 minutes or until cooked. Remove cooked livers, and finely chop. Add ground pork to Dutch oven, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until deep golden brown. Remove from Dutch oven using a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels. Stir ground pork into chopped liver mixture.
3. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and 1 Tbsp. butter to Dutch oven, and sauté 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in minced garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
4. Add 1 Tbsp. butter to Dutch oven, and stir until melted. Add rice, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until fragrant.
5. Stir in white wine, and cook, stirring often, 2 minutes or until nearly dry. Add 1 cup hot chicken broth, and cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat with remaining hot chicken broth, 1 cup at a time, until liquid is absorbed. (Total cooking time is 20 to 25 minutes.) Remove from heat.
6. Stir in liver-and-pork mixture, Creole seasoning, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 2 Tbsp. butter. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup broth, if desired. Serve immediately.